Sunday, March 15, 2009

Chicago’s #1 Gyros

HPIM3659

For my first Shop AJ blog entry I decided to try a restaurant I have heard many people rave about. Chicago’s #1 Gyros is located at 850 S. Ironwood Drive in the shopping center on the southwest corner of Ironwood and Broadway.

The first thing I noticed when I approached Chicago’s #1 Gyros was that it was quite busy. We were in on a weekday between lunch and dinner and the place was bustling. As we stood in line I noticed that the restaurant was quite clean and that it had a nice patio with covered seating. We read the menu while we waited in line and I was very happy to see that there is somewhere in AJ that I can get a Greek salad! And falafel! And baba ghanouj! However, I did not get any of those things. I opted to try the spanakopita and the Greek fries. My husband ordered Chicago’s Best Philly Steak, and my daughter got the basmati rice. We all loved our meals. I only ordered one spanakopita and I wished I had ordered two. It was delicious. It is basically filo dough filled with spinach and feta cheese and deep fried. Yummy.

 HPIM3664spanakopita

HPIM3668My daughter with her basmati rice.

Chicago’s #1 Gyros is pricier than fast food, but less than the Greek restaurant on the other side of Meridian (you know, the big fat one). The spanakopita was $2.49, the Chicago’s Best Philly Steak came with fries and was $7.25, the Greek fries were $1.95, and the basmati rice was $1.95. There is also a large array of desserts, appetizers, and even a hamburger on the menu. There truly is something for everyone.

I would highly recommend that you add Chicago’s #1 Gyros restaurant to your list of places to shop in AJ. Support a local business and enjoy a great lunch or dinner. The food is good, the restaurant is clean, and the service is friendly.

HPIM3660  

Chicago's #1 Gyros

(480) 983-1986

Open Monday - Saturday 11:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

3 comments:

  1. I have always had great food there and the friendly service is wonderful. Chicago's is small enough to have a great ambience and the portions are big enough I always walk away full.
    The friendly service is so enjoyable; they really appreciate everyone who shops there and make sure everything is as ordered.
    I highly recommend Chicago’s; you will get some great food and some great service!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can thank you, Janice, for a new happy customer! Dipped in there today for a #2 to go!

    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's my uncle's restaurant

    ReplyDelete